Seyfarth Shaw’s antitrust and trade regulation attorneys advise and represent businesses that seek to remain competitive and compliant with the antitrust laws in an evolving economy. Seyfarth provides innovative solutions to sophisticated and complex antitrust problems through preventative, thoughtful analysis and advice.
Our attorneys assist clients with a variety of regulatory questions and are especially strong in applying traditional antitrust principles to emerging technologies, the Internet and telecommunications.
When litigation ensues, we approach matters in an aggressive yet cost-effective style, constantly pursuing positive outcomes for our clients. We are always ready to take our cases through jury verdict and appeal, but also ready to help our clients work through alternative dispute resolution to achieve desired results. We have a good track record of obtaining favorable results for clients involved in civil and criminal antitrust investigations and trials.
Our work crosses many industries, including health care, aviation, automotive, retail, hospitality, construction, music and entertainment, agriculture, technology, media, and insurance, among others. We offer personalized service that is backed by the resources of a large, national full-service firm that works collaboratively in cross-disciplinary teams.
Our experience covers a wide variety of antitrust issues, including:
- Advice regarding mergers and acquisitions, including compliance with Hart-Scott-Rodino premerger notification requirements and second requests for information from the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission
- Litigation and counseling related to price-fixing, market allocation, wage-fixing, including group boycott issues
- Responding to civil and criminal antitrust investigations by the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and state attorneys general, including grand juries and litigating criminal trials and administrative proceedings
- Litigation and consulting regarding labor antitrust issues, including application of the labor exemption
- Litigation and advice regarding tying arrangements involving both goods and services
- Consulting regarding Internet developments, including business-to-business and business-to-consumer exchanges and related online activities
- Advice regarding collaborations among competitors, including group-purchasing arrangements, information sharing/benchmarking, domestic and international joint ventures and other alliances
- Litigation and consulting regarding distribution practices including distribution networks and restrictions, pricing programs, resale price maintenance, alleged price discrimination, and franchising relationships
- Representation of trade associations, including legislative and governmental affairs
- Litigation and advice regarding the antitrust aspects of domestic and international licensing of intellectual property rights and related technology licensing, transfers or exchanges
- Litigation related to attempt or conspiracy to monopolize, as well as monopolization claims
Using SeyfarthLean principles and practices, we are able to provide preventative and proactive advice, respond to government investigations, and conduct effective and creative civil and criminal litigations and trials in ways that minimize the potential liability for the client, while controlling costs and maintaining maximum focus on achieving the clients’ objectives.