Seyfarth’s Impact Investment team represents individuals, funds, companies, private foundations, nonprofits and other organizations seeking to achieve financial returns while effecting social and environmental change.
By aligning intentional investment strategies with solutions to address the world’s most critical challenges, impact investing helps provide stable and sustainable power on-grid and off, healthcare, clean water and safe heat where it is scarce, and a solution to massive municipal waste problems, both locally and on a global scale.
We help our clients achieve high-yield returns through the deployment of capital into economic-development projects and businesses, all of which are intended to create a measurable social, economic, or environmental impact under the Sustainable Development Goals (“SDGs”) established by the United Nations and/or in furtherance of charitable, educational, scientific, or other tax-exempt purposes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (“Exempt Purposes”).
Our clients include global private capital (including family offices, private funds, private foundations and other nonprofits, and high-net-worth individuals), institutional capital and pension funds, local government, and early- to- middle-stage companies with solutions to achieve one or more of the SDGs and or Exempt Purposes. Our impact deals range from $5 million to hundreds of millions of dollars. Our mission-related investment and program-related investment deals can entail investments in much lesser amounts.
We advise our clients on capital placement, capital raise, capital structure, fund formation, program-related investments, mergers and acquisitions, public-private-partnerships (“P3”), series-transactions, cross-border transactions, foreign investment, and domestic and international tax matters among others in the following SDG and Exempt Purpose categories:
- Clean Energy Production
- Scientific Research
- Climate Change
- Sustainable Farming and Fishing
- Responsible Manufacturing
- Women and Minority-Owned Businesses
- Sustainable Communities
- Forest Preservation
Our team includes a diverse group of attorneys experienced in domestic and cross-border business transactions, capital markets, taxation, tax-exempt organizations, energy, construction and infrastructure, healthcare, intellectual property and licensing, cyber security and privacy, commercial real estate, public and private finance, and P3. The team is supported by our tax, litigation, government contracts, labor and employment, and ERISA practices. With offices located world-wide, we are positioned to work on impact investments both locally, and on a global basis.
- Structuring transactions to assist clients in the deployment of capital and technology for the establishment of physical infrastructure, off-grid power, clean water, connectivity, healthcare, job creation, sustainability, and environmental impact.
- Advising private foundations with their initial and subsequent program-related investments, utilizing existing grant-making procedures to efficiently employ impact investments that count toward annual charitable distribution requirements.
- Advising energy companies that have harnessed disruptive technology to provide clean, stable, and sustainable power on-grid and off-grid in connection with capitalization from impact investment-sourced funds, as well as project-based capital deployment.
- Advising asset holders regarding particular solutions for ending municipal waste problems by converting municipal waste to energy and other useful commodities.
- Counseling family offices and high-net-worth individuals seeking to put their assets to work in areas that will achieve the greatest social and economic impact, including by utilizing program-related investments to turn private foundations into social venture capital funds.
- Counseling early and middle stage companies seeking impact investment.
We work closely with a number of family offices, private foundations, financial institutions, broker dealers, and public and private investment banks in connection with impact investment transactions. Our relationships are global, which is critical in calibrating and connecting an asset with the right investor or investor class. Our works extends to organizations within the U.S., Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, South America, and island nations.